Thursday, March 15, 2012

3-15-12 Last day

Hi
I am almost done in Ghana. Today was our last day in the schools. Friday I will shop a bit in the morning and then we will have a meeting with all 11 teachers that have been in different schools to share experiences.  On Saturday we will have time to tour a museum I think and then we fly out to Frankfurt Germany, Washington DC then home. That is about 26 hours of travel. I may be a bit tired on Monday at school so be nice to me if you see me. I will post a video shortly of my farewell to Accra Girls Secondary School. It is too bad you could not all be here to meet these wonderful students, teachers, administrators and others, they have all been very kind. It has been interesting to see how another country goes about education. They teach basically the same thing we do but have much more limited resources especially in the form of technology. Class sizes are bigger and the teachers change rooms instead of the students. We have started an idea of sending video information back and forth. We will start with general "what is your life like" type of information and eventually move to sharing our thoughts on science topics.  Much of what they do is abstract to them. For example, they have never dissected a frog, yet would write notes about the dissection.  They are very good writers and spellers as they use that style of learning extensively.  We hope to have a partnership that will continue for many years. I will probably blog on Friday briefly but not on Saturday or Sunday. Next week I will post a final blog movie that I am making that shows both Ghanian students and my students. It will be interesting for you to note the similarities and differences.
Mr. French

1 comment:

  1. I think it is AWESOME that you are planning to do the video exchanges. It sounds like you've had a great experience. I loved seeing the students at your U.S. school excited to view your postings and craving more information about Ghana through their questioning.

    ReplyDelete