Thursday, February 16, 2012

February 16th, 2012- I am in Washington DC getting ready to meet 65 other teachers from across the USA as part of a Teachers for a Global Classroom grant. It is a program run by a government agency called Irex. In 2 weeks, from March 3rd to March 18th I will be going to Ghana. I will try to post daily but I do not know if I can get on a computer there. Below is a short overview of Ghana. I have not used this blog before so offer me some tips if you have them. It will be fun to hear from people especially while I am traveling. I will try to answer questions, so ask away.

Here is a brief description of Ghana.
Ghana is located in West Africa. Within the country is the latitude and longitude of 0 degrees N and 0 degrees E/W. One edge of the country is coastal with much of the country described as sub saharan. I would expect daily high temperatures to be about 90 degrees farenheit with lows in the 70s farenheit.  Formerly called the Gold Coast this country was liberated from Great Britian in 1957. English is the language for business with more than 60 other languages spoken. I will be staying for several days in the capital city of Accra.

Although the economy is rated as one of the fastest growing in the world, average per capita income is still low by USA standards, between $1200-$3000 depending on the source.  The currency is the cedi and the country is on Greenwhich mean time. Flight time from Washington is about 10 hours although I will have to fly home via Germany making my return flight about a 2 day affair.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Randy! I love the blog! I plan on checking it out while you are away. I am sure we will see each other to touch base before you leave. Enjoy your week off!!! See you next week! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. French...

    My class would like to know some of the animals that you saw on your trip? Did you have to sleep in a tent? Are the stars the same?

    Mrs. Pearson's First Grade class, Geneseo, NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi to Mrs. Pearson's class,
      I am not sleeping in a tent. I will try to put a picture on my blog tonight to show you my room, it is really nice. The stars are similar, just at a different place in the sky. For example the big dipper is really low down near the horizon as I am at the equator. Do you know where the equator is?
      I am visiting schools in the city, so I hope I get out to see some animals. There is a park not too far away where I can walk in a walkway in the trees to see monkeys. They use horses sometimes for lifequards on the beach. See my note from to today about what I did. I will post some pictures too.
      Mr. French

      Delete