Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back home and preparing ....

I am back home from Washington DC and about to send out emails to people to let you know to check this site out. I leave on March 3rd and arrive on the 4th. I should be able to post an update from Accra, Ghana on Sunday the 4th. If you have any questions for me before I go post them on this so I can practice with the blog before I leave. For example, are you curious how I got selected to go, what I am supposed to do there, what will I do when I come back? Once I am there you can think about questions that might help you understand what the difference in life is like in Ghana. Think about questions about food, houses, school and transportation and I will answer them. I hope to be able to skype too, if you are interested in Skype, let me know and I will try to connect with you.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Randy,

    What exciting news! I would love to hear more about how you were selected to go, and what you will be doing while you're in Ghana. I plan to follow your blog with my students once it gets underway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To participate I applied last year in a competitive process through a program called Teachers for Global Education. It is run by a program called IREX which part of a federal agency. The intent and selection is to bring global education into the classroom. Along with 65 teachers I did an 8 week online course last fall and went to DC for 2 days last week to prepare. I am one of 12 teachers going to Ghana. Other destinations are India, Morocco, Brazil, Ukraine, and Indonesia. We are paired with a local teacher in Ghana. From what I just found out today I am going to an all girls high school for a week and paired with a SS and Biology teacher. I may teach a bit, share, I am not sure exactly. Have your students blog me with questions and things they would like to know. If I can get my electrical adapter to work I will add video and pictures to my website.
      Stay tuned as I head to the Equator, oh hot.
      Randy

      Delete
  2. Hi Randy,
    I'm very interested in your visit there. It's such a kind act on your part to do this. I'd like to follow you with my students.
    Take care!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete